First of all, if anyone from Cambridge stumbles across this:
Please may I have a part-time job next year? Can make very good coffee and dig excellent holes. Combination of these two skills is possible. Flexible on hours.
On the bright side: I have been accepted for PhD places at Cambridge, SOAS, Edinburgh and Glasgow. The significantly more dark and gloomy side: I have so far been rejected for about 70% of the scholarships I applied to, and counting.
In other news. NWC had an open day, and despite the blizzard that was going on a significant number of people turned up to check it out. It seems that Cambridge is quite interested in archaeology and its heritage. This is new. This is cool.
I also spent a day excavating a little test pit in Stapleford with some local schools. (Stapleford? Yeah I think even the bus-driver had no idea where it was as he drove straight past the stop, kindly providing me with the opportunity to take a 40 minute stroll through the country-side to get to the site.)
It turns out, these kids actually voluntarily choose to come dig. They were genuinely quite interested (interest ranging from an enthusiasm for using shovels, to the actual history). We found pottery ranging from 1450-1750 (single glazed, double glazed, decorated), as well as a well-preserved 1967 Elizabeth II coin.
There was no clay. It did not rain. The students were polite and generally just lovely. The only thing that could make this better is actually getting paid to do it. 6am-6pm guys. Note of interest to the non-British: these were GSCE students, not even A-level, nowhere near close to choosing a university or other type or education. The UK is seriously on top of their business. Holland should try it!













No comments:
Post a Comment