It was such a battle to get to Cambridge that it is a little surreal to actually be there. How cool is this?
When Lyuba was showing me around Newnham, we found a little memorial bench in a corner of the gardens with the text "What do you see. Look up and Smile."
: )
As a high school student I thought it would mean that I might possibly be mildly employable, as an archaeologist with a degree from Oxbridge. Well that never worked out, because my high school told me not to bother, and Oxford rejected me anyway. Twice.
Then, I like to think my thoughts evolved slightly. I realised Assyriology is a degree you can study at university, and one you can only study at Cambridge and Birmingham. Now I needed to go there to study what is not offered anywhere else. Who cares about employability. So more applying commenced.
Then of course, I managed to nearly fail Archaeological Theory and smoothly missed my precious Cambridge offer. I assume they finally decided to let me attend the course because no one else applied and I do not entirely suck at what I do.
Blogs are self-centered enough as is, but I write about this to emphasise how weird this Oxbridge phenomenon is. The concept is so big. These are universities everyone knows about. I imagine I might feel the same if I ever get the opportunity to write an e-mail from Mecca.
Coming from the Netherlands I did not grow up with private schools and grandfathers who attended fancy colleges I was expected to attend as well. That is why I choose Fitzwilliam College. It was founded in 1869 to broaden access to the university. That is really cool - to give people with less money a chance as well. What is even better, is that most people I have met at Fitz so far applied to the College for the same reason! It is so nice to meet new people who had the same thoughts when applying.
: )
Iedereen in de MCR is heel vriendelijk en sociaal en we zijn natuurlijk meteen een nieuw voetbal-team begonnen; tot nu toe heeft de Facebook-groep 5 leden, dus hopelijk tegen volgend weekend genoeg om op het gigantische veld hier naast een wedstrijdje te spelen! Ja, ik was niet van plan nieuwe verenigingen te stichten hier, maar dit telt niet; volgens de principes van het Gilesgate Voetbal Gezelschap mag er geen leiding zijn, dus kan ik die ook niet hebben!
Ik heb echt vette mazzel gehad met m'n huisje. Het licht ongeveer 5 minuutjes lopen bij College vandaan en is deze zomer helemaal verbouwd. Het stamt uit 1910 en schijnt ooit bewoond te zijn geweest door nonnen. Nu is echter alles helemaal vernieuwt. Nieuw tapijt, nieuwe waterkokers; het ruikt nog helemaal nieuw. Zo chill. Mijn dure kamer van 102 pond is zo groot dat ik nu na een week m'n vloer nog steeds kan zien! Er zitten 3 ramen in op 3 verschillende niveaus. In het hele huis horen 11 mensen te wonen, plus nog een heleboel in een gebouw in de tuin. De kamers op de begane grond hebben allemaal een eigen badkamer en de kamers boven (die van mij) delen er 2.
Of course there are also a few downsides to being an awesome Cambridge student. For instance, our shiny new house did not come with any pots, pans, plates or cutlery - so I spent the first week eating from my wok-pan with my post-hole spoon. Apparently, besides excavating post-holes, I can cut frozen bread with that spoon. And cheese. It is pretty useful.
Fortunately the MCR was kind enough to give away some free things yesterday. You never appreciate things until you have to go without. Such as bowls. Thank you MCR!
: )
In addition, there is an internet traffic charge. This is so great, if you are someone who maybe watches the news, downloads academic articles, and perhaps, you know, listens to music? Wait, were Cambridge students not meant to do world-leading ground-breaking research and that sort of stuff? How is that possible at less than 1GB a term?!
I have not even mentioned the other extra costs yet. Kitchen charge. Gowns. The list goes on. And on.
Starting to feel less surreal already.
So far I have no idea what I will be studying. Perhaps the department will bother to tell me before the end of the week, who knows. Fortunately, this means I have been able to socialise a little. Yet, it is a some times painful to explain to everyone what I study. Assyriology? Nope no one really knows that. Archaeology? Like Indiana Jones? Ok, fair enough.
Tonight there was a toga party, and I am fairly sure the headband I was wearing is from Syria. From Aleppo. From the very market that was set on fire yesterday. And that is why I am here. Not because I want to attend Trinity's May Ball. Not because of anyone famous. But to maybe help preserve the past. It seriously needs it.
Ready for the real world.
Ietsje minder serieus maar nog wel ernstig: fietsen. Dat doen ze hier dus links, omdat Engelsen totaal gestoord zijn. Dat doen ze hier ook vooral zonder fietspaden. Soms op de weg. Soms op de stoep. Geen stoplichten voor fietsers. Hoe kom je op een kruising van de linkerkant van de weg naar de rechter straat? Wanneer mag je waar fietsen? Waarom rijdt daar opeens een bus? Waarom loopt daar opeens een oud dametje? Help!























No comments:
Post a Comment