Friday, October 26, 2012

Stilte voor de storm


Adapted from the Harry Potter books:

"The University Library is a stronghold of ancient magic."
—Albus Dumbledore to Harry Potter

The University Library is a large, 157-feet high building supported by magic, with many towers and turrets and very deep dungeons, built in the early-20th century by a wizard architect. The library books have various spells on them to prevent students from defacing or stealing them. Chocolate and (presumably) other food is forbidden in the library. A student once showed signs of breaking the security of the library in her first year, when she entered the Restricted Section without her Invisibility Cloack while carrying her Magic Photocopying Camera. There are study tables nestled throughout red-carpeted rooms criss-crossed and walled with full bookshelves, many of which are actually secret passages that Librarians use to travel between rooms quickly, leaving students lost and bewildered. It is forbidden to bring any personal items into the library and checking out books is only possible through a system of complicated Medieval magic. 

I have decided that I shall complete my MPhil without making use of the main library, thank you. It is like Hogwarts, except Evil.

Ik ben echt geniaal jongens: ik heb dus steeds niet zo veel te doen. Nog geen opstel titels. Geen leeslijsten. Geen opdrachten. Geen presentaties. Enzovoort. Alleen één oefening voor Akkadisch elke week. Vorige week had ik die met een halfuurtje af. Dus ik dacht gisteravond om 9 uur: doen we ff. 5 uur later: het is twee uur 's ochtends, ik snap er geen flikker van, ik val in slaap. Dus kon ik vanochtend om 11 uur aan m'n docent (die Teach yourself Babylonian heeft geschreven) uitleggen dat ik mijn ene huiswerk opdrachtje, van de hele week, niet af had. Hij was niet onder de indruk.

Moraal van het verhaal: volgens mij gaat deze week de huiswerkbom ontploffen. Niets meer uitstellen. Niet meer uitslapen. Al dat werk waar ze me maar steeds niks over vertellen: daar komt 'ie. De eerste week van november kan je me opdwijlen.

Katia's verjaardagsbijeenkomst : )
... gevolgd door een groot feest met Eve en Petar op zaterdag.

One of the things on my Cambridge wishlist was watching one of the presidential debates. I thought, if there is any place where people care about politics, and are willing to stay up for it until 4am, it has to be Cambridge. I was right! 

I am not an expert when it comes to American politics, so I am afraid I cannot claim to make any sensible comments. But my thoughts in brief: politics has become so unreal. And I mean that in the literal sense of the word. Politicians have to use the 'language of the people'. They have to wear the right kind of tie (yes that especially refers to Dutch politicians as well). There have to be big television debates which remind of Eurovision. 

I think when it comes to the US, all this is taken to the extreme. At least in Holland we have 6-12 parties debating. There it is just 2. Or not even 2 parties, but specifically 2 men. They talked about the Middle East as if the whole world is their problem to solve. Romney kept referring to the entire area and population as 'the Muslim world', which is of course not at all an offensive generalisation. Oh and they will help out women. Thanks, I guess? Especially Romney seemed, to me, so detached from the real world. "America is the hope of the earth?" Honestly? Imagine a Dutch politician making any of these statements.

 I started going to Turkish lessons on Monday.
Come on, you knew I wasn't going to stick to 1 language.

The awesome thing about doing an MPhil in Assyriology? Lecturer makes up for 9am lecture by bringing baklava fresh from Baghdad. When I saw her enter the classroom with a suspiciously Arab looking tin I already squeeled to my classmate 'It's Arab sweets! I bet it's Arab sweets! Do you think we'll get some?! I hope we'll get some!'. 

P.S. Kleine fiets-update naturlijk: volgens mij is m'n achterband bijna lek en volgens de fietsenmannen op de markt moet ik een nieuwe ketting (kosten: 35 pond). Heeft Sinterklaas wel eens een fietsketting op een verlanglijstje zien staan denk je? 

Oh en ik ben een band aan het opbouwen met de gast die elke maandagochtend om 9:55 de straat oversteekt voor het archaeologiegebouw. Ik volg dan het groene voetgangerslicht om over te steken, terwijl hij van mening is dat ik op het rode autostoplicht moet wachten. Zou hij al eens hebben overwogen dat ik word aangereden door een auto als ik oversteek terwijl de auto's doorrijden? Misschien wel...

No comments:

Post a Comment